20100126

Wednesday 1/27

Rest Day




The Haka



We all know the Haka is a tribute to New Zealand's native culture but what else does it do for them as a team?  Pre-game or workout rituals are important for consistent performance, mental focus and in the case of a Haka, team unity.  Now, you don't need to perform the Haka to get ready for your big game but what ritual do you have to ensure you are prepared mentally for the big game or just to make sure you hit your workout with the proper intensity and focus?


"Ka Mate"
Leader:
Ringa pakia!
Slap the hands against the thighs!
Uma tiraha!
Puff out the chest.
Turi whatia!
Bend the knees!
Hope whai ake!
Let the hip follow!
Waewae takahia kia kino!
Stamp the feet as hard as you can!
Leader:
Ka mate, ka mate
'I die, I die,
Team:
Ka ora' Ka ora'
'I live, 'I live,
Leader:
Ka mate, ka mate
'I die, 'I die
Team:
Ka ora Ka ora "
'I live, 'I live,
All:
Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
This is the fierce, powerful man
Nāna i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
...Who caused the sun to shine again for me
Upane... Upane
Up the ladder, Up the ladder
Upane Kaupane"
Up to the top
Whiti te rā,!
The sun shines!
Hī!
Rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment